Newsweeks had an interesting article on the eight most fattening fall foods. One way to think of this: a 150 lb person burns just over 350 calories for a 30 minute 5k jog.
- Halloween candy Eat just four “bite size” bars and you’re up to 320 calories. Keep it out of the house
- Mashed potatoes usually have about 200 calories in a half-cup serving. If you must, pick up some sweet mashed potatoes instead — sweeter taste but with more fiber
- Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte These should be illegal; a Venti has 510 calories and 20 grams of fat.
- Apple pie I love me some apple pie but with 400 calories and 20 grams of fat/slice, and upwards of 530 with a single scoop of ice cream, I may be re-thinking this holiday treat.
- Cider a sugar-laden 200 calories in 16 ounces — I’d rather have a desert!
- Stuffing At 358 calories and 18 grams of fat per cup, I’m glad my mom never served this at the table.
- Candy apple An apple a day keeps the dentist away with about 80 calories, but cover it in gooey caramel and you are looking at upwards of 540.
And as for the turkey? Stay clear of the skin and enjoy a three-ounce serving of skinless turkey with 130 calories.