It was just February I was reflecting on the trials and tribulations of 2011 and looking forward to the exciting events for 2012. Back then, my main issue was that I was gaining weight while training for half marathons. I combated that by committing to tracking 5/week exercise with different types of beans for the three different types of exercise — by foot (walking & jogging), by wheel (cycling), and by muscle (cross-fit). Also, I committed to “challenges” for nearly every month to keep my eye on the prize of shiny medals.
As a check-in, you can see my bean jar photo above — progress is being made! As for 5/week exercise, I’ve tracking that as well on a calendar. Finally, I’ve stuck to 8 out of 9 of the those challenges — the only one missed was because I was out of country (and with food poisoning).
Committing to challenges in advance has been very helpful in meeting my goals. In fact, it was the 2 months that I didn’t have anything planned — June and August — that I lost concentration and started to slip back into bad eating and exercise habits. My punishment? I responded by going Vegan Plus for 21 days, which I’ve now continued for 8+ weeks with some modest weekly amounts of mollusks — clams, scallops, mussels, and maybe squid.
So, here is the Challenge Calendar for the next 12 months, where this time every month will consist of some challenge, even if only a 10k or 35 mile bike ride. What’s more, this year marks the 5 year anniversary since my first triathlon, where I proposed to my wife. How are we celebrating? We are returning there in August for the 2013 Watauga Lake Triathlon!
- October: Northface Endurance Challenge 10k Trail Run (Callaway, GA)
- November: Tennessee Ragnar (200 mile, 12 person relay from Chattanooga to Nashville)
- December: Atlanta Beltline Eastside 10k (Atlanta, GA)
- January: Resolution 10k(TBD)
- February: New Orleans Half Marathon(Rock n Roll Series)
- March: Berry Half Marathon(Rome, GA)
- April: A sprint triathlon (TBD)
- May: A sprint or Olympic triathlon, possibly the Jekyll Island Turtle Crawl (TBD)
- June 2013: An olympic triathlon (TBD)
- July: Peachtree 10k (Atlanta)
- July: Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon (Napa Valley, TBD)
- August: Watauga Lake Triathlon (1k/35k/8k)
- September: Bike MS: Atlanta Ride (150 mile, 2 day cycling fundraiser)
What challenges are on your calendar?